Ronald W. Nesbitt

Supervisor's Corner


I would like to hear from you.  To send me your input, please visit the "Contact the Supervisor" page

View All Posts

Aug 15

My Time at Village Days - Questions & Answers

Posted on August 15, 2011 at 11:21 AM by PattiAnn Schultz

I spent this past weekend at Webster Village Days and, once again, it was great to see so many friends and residents at this event! I was pleased to see the great crowds all weekend for the events and having people enjoy the assets of Webster. Hats off to all who made this weekend an enjoyable one for the community and those who came to visit.

While walking around greeting residents, I was approached many times with complaints about the high taxes in Webster and the plea of, “please don’t raise our taxes!” I explained, as I have done many times in many columns and during various times on Cable Channel 12, the Town of Webster taxes only make up 12% of your total tax bill. The rest of the 88% of your bill is made up of County taxes (26%) and School taxes at (62%) of your total bill.

I encouraged these residents to get involved and contact their county and school officials about their displeasure with the high tax rates they feel that they have here in Webster. Nothing will get accomplished unless residents get involved and voice their concerns about actions officials are taking.

The Town of Webster has not raised taxes in the last four years and your current Town Board is working very hard this year to make it five years in a row. This task is not easy and it is getting harder and harder each year.

The cost of everything associated with asphalt are just sky rocketing because of gasoline being so high priced. You also must take into consideration higher health care costs, higher pension costs, union wage increases, and the loss of revenue because of the slumping economy. In the coming weeks the Town Board will present their Town Budget for 2012 and we are working hard to bring home a stable budget for the residents of Webster.

As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me during regular business hours at (585) 872-7068 or email me at supervisor@ci.webster.ny.us.

Ronald W. Nesbitt
Webster Town Supervisor