History of Webster Business
The Town of Webster, named after American statesman Daniel Webster, started out as an agricultural community with early settlers taking advantage of fertile soil, a temperate climate, and a good topography to grow edible products. Webster's first industrial businesses, including food processing, were also linked to agriculture. At one time, Webster was home to the largest basket manufacturing plant in the world. As the industrial revolution changed America’s agrarian economic base to an industrial one, Webster also changed.
There are many reasons for your company to consider Webster. Some of these reasons are:
Living in Webster
- For international trade, Webster is conveniently located for exporting through the St. Lawrence Seaway system, and has access by highway, rail, or the airport to major U.S. coastal ports or Canada. Webster is one of the few communities in Monroe County with its own foreign trade zone.
- Our metropolitan-area design makes travel to Webster convenient from most places in the county, including the city of Rochester. Easy commuting provides a large pool of potential employees, including a large percentage of highly skilled, well-educated technical people.
- There is a major hotel and a motel located in Webster, and more are planned for the future. Webster also has a variety of establishments for your dining and shopping pleasure.
- Webster is business-friendly. Infrastructure for industrial and commercial development is in place. Zoning separates areas reserved for industrial, commercial, and residential development.
- Webster provides excellent emergency services through its Police Department, three fire departments, two ambulance corps, and an advanced life-support unit.
- You will find an excellent highway system that links conveniently with Interstate 90, the Greater Rochester International Airport, downtown Rochester, and other companies' facilities.
Webster is a great place to live and raise a family. The median income is more than $51,000, and property taxes are reasonable. People are attracted to Webster's suburban and rural setting located just a few miles away from New York’s third largest city. Housing ranges from lakefront and bay estates to affordable starter homes, patio homes, modest to luxury apartments, and specialized communities for senior citizens.
The Webster School District
ranks among the best in New York State and serves more than 8,000 students in the area. The district consists of seven elementary schools, two middle schools, and two high schools.