The duties and responsibilities of the Assessment Office are determined by New York State laws and consist of preparing the annual Assessment Roll, which includes:
- Recording the transfer of ownership of existing properties and newly created properties (subdivisions)
- Administration of exemptions
- Inspections of all properties and their changes since the last roll
- Gathering of market data for property valuation
- Valuation of all properties as of the taxable status date
- Maintenance of valuation equity among similar property types
- Attendance at all meetings of the Board of Assessment Review (BAR)
- Defense of assessments under judicial review
- Public education
- New address assignments and notification to 911, utilities, and other agencies.
- Provide true tax information - Please contact the Receiver of Taxes or Monroe County Property Tax Search for this information.
- Answer questions regarding zoning on properties - Please contact the Planning Department for this information.
- Answer questions regarding building permits - Please contact the Building Department for permit information.
- Provide information regarding sewer connection - Please contact the Sewer Department for this information.
- Provide phone numbers of town residents or businesses.
About Webster's Assessor
The Webster Town Board appoints an Assessor, according to New York State law, once every six years unless an unexpired term needs to be filled. Donna M. Komor, IAO began as Webster’s Assessor on February 14, 2005, filling an unexpired term, and has since been re-appointed for her second full term with Webster for the 2019-2025 statewide term. She was admitted to the Institute of Assessing Officers in 2006, thereby earning her Professional Designation. She is also a Certified Instructor for the New York Assessors' Association.
On July 26, 2007, the Village of Webster relinquished its assessing duties to the Town. Therefore, all assessing functions for all property tax bills (school, town, county, and village) are now performed solely by the Town Assessing Department.